The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Morning
First I couldn’t dial the numbers on my phone to call work to tell them I was late. I kept miss dialing over and over, which was making me later and later. Then I realized I was dialing the number for my elementary school. Then I looked down and saw I was using my house phone was I was 16. Then I woke up.
(It is so unfair to waste dream time on real things. My first job was at an ice cream parlor and I used to dream of scooping. Now sometimes I dream of .mac. Unreal. Why can’t I be dreaming of sex?)
So I woke up. I had 12 minutes to get to work! There is nothing I enjoy more than a large cup of coffee and a little RSS catch up, so I thrive on a leisurely morning. A high anxiety dream to a stressed out morning = cranky Jess.
Then my widget says five minutes till the bus. I run around throwing things in pockets and I’m out the door. Around the corner I watch the bus fly by. Poop. Chalk it all up to bad transit karma. I must have pissed off a light rail in a former life.
The buses come around 15 minutes, and there are several that I could take. But, they all leave at the same 15 minute intervals. What ever could be the sense in that? I miss one and I miss all the possibilities.
While I wait, a dirty old man walks by. Looks at me with a sidewise glance when walking by. Then turns and looks. Then a little later turns and looks again. I pretend to be really interested in the “Jesus Saves” flyer stuck in the bench. Then the yucky guy turns and walks towards me. Why why why didn’t I put my head phones in??? But, he just jesters to my hair, signifying that it was out of place. Honesty, I thought it looked fine. When did the bums get a better sense of style than me?
A new bus finally rounds the bend, I sit, and look up. Two seats dead ahead is a baby. Thinking it is so cute and all. It starts cooing at me. Like I have an iota of a maternal instinct. This baby has me all confused for someone who cares.
I pull the stop cord at the wrong stop, but I always seem to have too much pride to tell the bus drive I screwed up. So I now I had to walk too long in the monsoon. Yeah! Go day of rush anxiety, hair insecurity, and baby annoyance.
(It is so unfair to waste dream time on real things. My first job was at an ice cream parlor and I used to dream of scooping. Now sometimes I dream of .mac. Unreal. Why can’t I be dreaming of sex?)
So I woke up. I had 12 minutes to get to work! There is nothing I enjoy more than a large cup of coffee and a little RSS catch up, so I thrive on a leisurely morning. A high anxiety dream to a stressed out morning = cranky Jess.
Then my widget says five minutes till the bus. I run around throwing things in pockets and I’m out the door. Around the corner I watch the bus fly by. Poop. Chalk it all up to bad transit karma. I must have pissed off a light rail in a former life.
The buses come around 15 minutes, and there are several that I could take. But, they all leave at the same 15 minute intervals. What ever could be the sense in that? I miss one and I miss all the possibilities.
While I wait, a dirty old man walks by. Looks at me with a sidewise glance when walking by. Then turns and looks. Then a little later turns and looks again. I pretend to be really interested in the “Jesus Saves” flyer stuck in the bench. Then the yucky guy turns and walks towards me. Why why why didn’t I put my head phones in??? But, he just jesters to my hair, signifying that it was out of place. Honesty, I thought it looked fine. When did the bums get a better sense of style than me?
A new bus finally rounds the bend, I sit, and look up. Two seats dead ahead is a baby. Thinking it is so cute and all. It starts cooing at me. Like I have an iota of a maternal instinct. This baby has me all confused for someone who cares.
I pull the stop cord at the wrong stop, but I always seem to have too much pride to tell the bus drive I screwed up. So I now I had to walk too long in the monsoon. Yeah! Go day of rush anxiety, hair insecurity, and baby annoyance.
.jpg)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home