Beach Day
So it’s been a little more than a month, and with an unexpected day off on my hands, I figured I needed to explore my island. City life is great for this girl, but sometimes you just gotta remember - hey, I live in Hawaii. So today it was off to the North Shore. Known for it’s “Killer waves, Dude” and shave ice, the North Shore brings the Hawaii out of Oahu.
We made a quick impulse stop at the Dole pineapple plantation. After narrowly averting some tourist scams & long lines for pineapple whipped ice creamie stuff, while still learning interesting faq’s about pineapples
(Who knew the 4th most commonly asked question was ‘why do you use black plastic mulch?’ I thought I was the only one with that question!) we had quite an eventful stop.
Continued...
Then we made it to Hale’iwa, the location of the shave ice. Now, to clarify, this is not sugar water saturating chips of an ice cube in a paper cup that will soon disintegrate leaving your hand with a tasteless syrupy mess. It’s different. Think snow ball with fruit juice on top of vanilla ice cream in a fun flower like plastic cup for drip free consumption.
The creator of this delicacy even had the forethought, or perhaps years of perfecting the process, to realize as the dessert passes through the states of matter, becoming a more unified liquid, the flavors blend together with the ‘cream for a most delectable treat. Genius!
We also heard some live music from Ron Artis, who has a family band that does cool art & plays music out of their house. You could just walk up and sit down, but their cute little kid was trying to sell me a CD and I felt bad about not buying.
Then we hit up the beach! Which did indeed, have some killer waves.
We made a quick impulse stop at the Dole pineapple plantation. After narrowly averting some tourist scams & long lines for pineapple whipped ice creamie stuff, while still learning interesting faq’s about pineapples
(Who knew the 4th most commonly asked question was ‘why do you use black plastic mulch?’ I thought I was the only one with that question!) we had quite an eventful stop.Continued...
Then we made it to Hale’iwa, the location of the shave ice. Now, to clarify, this is not sugar water saturating chips of an ice cube in a paper cup that will soon disintegrate leaving your hand with a tasteless syrupy mess. It’s different. Think snow ball with fruit juice on top of vanilla ice cream in a fun flower like plastic cup for drip free consumption.The creator of this delicacy even had the forethought, or perhaps years of perfecting the process, to realize as the dessert passes through the states of matter, becoming a more unified liquid, the flavors blend together with the ‘cream for a most delectable treat. Genius!
We also heard some live music from Ron Artis, who has a family band that does cool art & plays music out of their house. You could just walk up and sit down, but their cute little kid was trying to sell me a CD and I felt bad about not buying.
Then we hit up the beach! Which did indeed, have some killer waves.
.jpg)
1 Comments:
What a cliff hanger... so what'd you do about the waves? surf? :D haha. Dole is kinda neat as it has the stamp maze which took me longer than it should have... something like 19 minutes something. Shaved Ice is certainly popular on the North Shore and I know people who will vouch that the best stuff's out there, but I like a place called Shimazu's Store (330 N School St. Honolulu, HI 96817) and another Called Waiola's (2135 Waiola Ave Honolulu, HI 96805, (808) 949-2269) which are, thankfully, much closer to town. Love the pictures, great blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home